Across our two industrial operations in the DRC, we produce copper and cobalt.
Glencore is one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of copper.
In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, we mine and process copper ore at our Kamoto Copper Company (KCC) and Mutanda Mining (MUMI) operations. Our integrated facilities produce copper cathodes with 99.99% purity.
Copper has a variety of applications due to its high ductility, malleability, and thermal and electrical conductivity. It was the first metal ever used by mankind and today finds various applications in both everyday life and industry:
- renewable energy technologies and electric vehicles
- construction (including buildings and bridges)
- telecommunications equipment
- electrical and electronic products (electric wiring used in products such as cables, TVs, and computers)
- transportation (including cars, trains and airplanes)
- general everyday products (e.g. coins)
- housing (e.g. water pipes)
Glencore is one of the world’s leading industrial producers and marketers of cobalt, a metal expected to become one of the most important raw materials in the transition towards a low-carbon economy due to its use in rechargeable batteries and renewable energy technologies.
We extract and process cobalt as a by-product of our copper production at both our operations in the DRC, KCC and MUMI. Cobalt finds applications in:
- a variety of rechargeable batteries
- many alloys and super alloys used in aircraft engines, gas turbines, and high-speed steels
- petroleum and chemical industries